Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thrift store score--or, adventures in finding stuff























A small haul, but one to be remembered. Adventures in Sound and Space looks especially cool, and it's in very nice condition. (Hopefully, a closer inspection won't reveal a long and deep cross-cut or something.)

Let It Be is on the Apple label and in nice condition, so I got it. I think I've heard of this group someplace. Heard them even, maybe. There were a number of LPs by the same guys, most in crappy condition. The owner may not have liked this one so much--hence, the good condition?

TV-theme LPs are always worth getting, especially when they're put out by Peter Pan. And I live to find stuff like A Visit to New York with Arthur Godfrey and All the Little Godfreys.

I found three or four other things that are nice but not worth picturing. You gotta love the grease-pencil prices on these things--I've gotten so used to such defacement, it hardly registers any longer. I'm just glad to find cool stuff for 99 cents a pop.

Thrift reports don't get any more exciting than this, do they? Oh, well--the moment the exciting details of any hobby are committed to paper, they become about as interesting as dried toothpaste. Yes, you can quote me.

Lee

6 comments:

Ernie said...

Well, it's exciting to me. :) Especially that space one. And the Arthur Godfrey. I think AG will show up at Christmas time over at my place, wait and see. I originally started my blog with the intention of posting lists of what I'd bought so I'd have some record of it, but that went away after the very first time I had to type in the names of 30 or so records...

But why multiple blogs all of a sudden? Didn't you used to have three different blogs, then they got consolidated down to one, and now you're back up to three (I think...)? I'm having a hard time keeping up.

Ernie said...

Oh, I forgot to mention, I got sent here by some guy named Lee. He looks a little bit like Paul Whiteman.

Lee Hartsfeld said...

Ernie,

Not only the AG cover fantastic, the track line-up is intriguing. Any version of "Tenement Symphony" is OK by me. I'm part of the small minority that loves (er, who love) the song.

Actually, this is just a spill-over blog for MY(P)WHAE. It's a way of out-linking (cool term, huh?) my commentary posts, since I write so many of them. I want the playlists to stay visible.

I swiped the idea from People Vs. Dr. Chilledair.

Really, there's only the one blog--MY(P)WHAE. Vintage Lounge is up for archive purposes. And because I don't have the heart to delete it.

Call me sentimental.

Yes, Lee looks more and more like Paul as he gets older. In my young days, I looked as Irish as Arthur Godfrey. Now I look as German as Paul.

I have a little French in me, too, so maybe I'll look more Gallic as time goes by.

Lee

Ernie said...

Couple of weeks ago I flipped through several bins at a record store that actually had records (!), and kept seeing random records by the Little Godfreys. I couldn't bring myself to buy most of them, but I did pick up one by The Mariners, I think a McGuire Sisters one, and a couple of solo Arthur Godfreys, including one 10". But none of them look as cool as the one you found. I'd post that drawing across the bottom on my blog in a heartbeat. :)

Lee Hartsfeld said...

It is pretty cool, yes. If I had a scanner, I'd gladly send a scan of it--but I only have a Kodak digital camera. Which I have to hold VERY steady to keep LP cover shots in focus!

I really ought to break down and get a scanner. Or get one before I break down. (Buwa-ha-haaaa!)

Lee

DZONDZON said...

Lee, please oh please post the space one sometime.