Sunday, March 16, 2008

My shockingly racist Ohio experience--a confession

The latest issue of The Christian Century reveals which part of the U.S. is the most religiously diverse. Something we've all wondered, right? And that part is (drum roll...) the Midwest. So there.

I didn't know that. I also didn't know that Ohio is one of the most racist states in the country. But I've been reading and hearing that a lot lately. Of course, my first reaction was, no way. Then again, if my own experience is anything to go by, perhaps there's something to the idea.

To be sure, I had little contact with black people when I was a kid growing up in Toledo, Ohio. Except for my parents' black acquaintances, including a drummer named Al, who was my dad's best friend circa 1970, and who visited us often. And except for a couple African-American students of my piano teacher. Otherwise, for all I knew, the whole world was white.

There were, of course, no black students at my grade school. Native American Indian, Polish-American, Mexican-American, yes. But no African-Americans. It wasn't until I got to high school, where blacks made up 52 percent of the student body, that I experienced minority status as a Caucasian (roughly 35 percent).

Then it was off to the Navy, where I lived and worked with a number of fellow sailors who were black, including three guys in my Electronic Warfare division. My shipboard buddies also included a Jamaican, a Puerto Rican, and a Japanese-American who didn't care a lot for Japan (where we were stationed).

After the Navy and college, I worked at a big company in Columbus, Ohio, whose workforce was, oh, twenty-five percent African-American. Maybe a little higher. Riding the bus to and from my job, I was often the only Caucasian person. I used to sit and nap, dreaming of the day when I would at last have the opportunity to interact with people of other backgrounds, ethnicities and/or skin hues.

But I am what I am--an Ohioan. And that there Obama fellow is, well, differ'nt. And the only other choice is a lady. Good grief--a lady president? I can't even picture that. What's a Dem to do?

If only my background had prepared me for any of this. But I'm from Ohio.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I moved here from the bay area to take a job with a fortune 500 company. As an African American I have never in my life experienced this much racism before I came here. My experiences have been so bad that I want to end my livelihood and get the hell out of this racist city (Columbus, OH). The caucasian men and women act so haughty that it angers me so to think people have to be this way. It seems as if the other African Americans that reside here (most of them), accept this racial way of life as if they are doomed to defend themselves.

Sinserely,

Trying to Keep My Head Above Water

Unknown said...

I understand what you, Trying to keep my head Above water! I totally totally understand! I thought it was just in Cuyahoga county!' especially Strongsville Ohio! I am moving to ATL! Where people know how to treat each other! And the sun shines! This is the most depressing area I have ever lived in! The trees are dead! The grass is not green! Everything is dead! The spirit of racism, self hated, and depression rule this place! These same spirits unfortunately are in some of the churches I have visited! This area is cursed! And like you said many African Americans don't realize they are in bondage! Very few people smile! Many people are rude! Most people who work in customer service are not trained well and have no customer service skills! My 13 year old son has been called nigger 3 times in Strongsville Ohio! I went to 2 restaurants in Strongsville Ohio and was treated poorly! All I can do is leave Ohio!!! I I will never live here again! I am praying for people who are racist because they have to have a strong self hatred!

Anonymous said...

I unlike the others who have posted here, absolutely love Columbus. I was born here, raised here, moved my wife here from the south and am now blessed to see my grand-children being raised here as well. As an African-American man, I do see subtle racism in the Columbus area, but no more than what I see all around the rest of the country as I travel. There seem s to be this delusional belief that just because we have a President who is a half African-American, that all the racism that has ever existed would just go away. Unfortunately, it didn't happen, so we (minorities) must address these archaic mind-sets and correct people when they exhibit this behavior. Whether it changes or not, at least they know that you are not going to roll-over and pretend you aren't intelligent enough to recognize it. I am old enough to have seen our city change from a black/white city to a more culturally diverse melting pot of sorts. We aren't quite "delivered" from the racist trolls who still believe that ones skin color makes them better than others. But we have come a very long way.

Columbus Crewman MM